Beckham and Zidane to play unique match at Old Trafford for Unicef

/ David Beckham, 2 October 2015
David made Valentine's Day cards with child survivors of Typhoon Haiyan at the tented child-friendly space in Tacloban Photo: Unicef/Philippines 2014/PetterssonDavid with child survivors of Typhoon Haiyan at a child-friendly space in the Philippines.

David Beckham and Zinedine Zidane will captain an all-star football match at Old Trafford on Saturday 14 November. Money raised from ticket sales and donations made on match day will go to Unicef to help protect the world’s most vulnerable children. The teams will be managed by two of the most respected and successful managers ever in the game, Sir Alex Ferguson and Carlo Ancelotti.

WHO’S PLAYING: Scholes, Giggs, Figo, Ronaldinho – Get the match lineup for Beckham’s return to Old Trafford

David Beckham told us: “I want a world where children can grow up safe from violence, free from poverty and protected from preventable diseases. This match gives me the perfect opportunity to raise awareness and vital funds to help reach the children who need it most. I am delighted that my friend Zizou will join me in leading two teams, full of our friends and team mates, at the best stadium in the world.”

Italian legend Pierluigi Collina, who was named FIFA’s Best Referee of the Year for six consecutive years during a renowned career, will referee the match.

Earlier this year, David marked his tenth year as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador with the launch of 7: The David Beckham UNICEF Fund and made a personal commitment to use his powerful voice, influence and connections to raise vital funds, fight inequality and rally for lasting positive change for the world’s most vulnerable children across every region of the world.

Over the past decade David Beckham has played a crucial role in helping Unicef promote and protect the rights of the world’s most vulnerable children. He has raised global awareness of the dangers children are facing around the world including malnutrition, Ebola, AIDS, violence and the devastating effects of natural disasters. He has travelled to see Unicef’ s work, meeting children in Sierra Leone, South Africa, Thailand, the Philippines and Cambodia.

Last week David joined United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Unicef Executive Director Anthony Lake to unveil a digital installation that ensured the voices of young people were at the heart of the United Nations General Assembly.

Make a Donation to 7 and Unicef

Photo: Unicef/2014/Pettersson

29 responses to “Beckham and Zidane to play unique match at Old Trafford for Unicef”

1. pritam basak says:

Its is awsome that unicef is thinking about poor children and i am very thankful to my idol beckham and also zidane for helping and spreading the awarness to the whole world and in my thought every world leaders should be aware about saving the children and helping them or lead them a normal life as we all live………….

2. Amirah says:

Can’t wait to see the match on the 14th!!!! My nephews are soooo excited!!! We’ll be sitting in the north stand cheering on the home team!!

3. Mark says:

Is the game live on television and what channel please

4. Nicklaus Streeter says:

This is going to be a day of memory making. My 9 yr old son is so excited almost as much as myself.
    We purchased VIP tickets and are wondering what time we need to arrive??
    Kind regards

5. Derek Giles says:

Hi. We will coming to watch the match along with our son who will be celebrating his 10th birthday, how do we request a call out for his birthday during half time etc?

6. Stacey Hart says:

Are they going to be selling special match t shirts so people can show support for either team whilst raising even more funds for unicef?. Just a thought. Can’t wait. 🙂

7. Sue rigby says:

When did the tickets go on sale,I’m gutted and so are my lads to hear tickets have sold out 🙁

8. Shane Humphreys says:

This match needs to be televised in the uk.
    It seems rather silly to have uk stars like beckham scholes and giggs playing in a uk ground In front of thousands of uk fans asking for the the support of the U.K. Public to donate to the unicef charity and not have the ability to have the millions of uk residents at home able to watch the match and donate to the charity.

Surely running a simple txt to donate scheme live during the game would be more than enough to donate money to a good cause and even pay to broadcast the event.

9. Emily says:

So excited about the game! Will you be selling the match day t-shirts? Otherwise I will source my own! Thanks 🙂

10. Saheel maulingkar says:

Love u guys playing again,all u legends love ull doing it fr the betterment of children around the world! Love u Beckham! N plz tel me if the match is telecasted in india? N wat r the timing? Plz respond

11. Lea15 says:

Hi I am bringing my 10yr old son to old trafford on the 14the nov for his 11th birthday as a suprise. This will be his first match to watch live and was just wondering If there was any chance that my son could get a shout out and also some of the players autographs if it’s not to much to ask. To meet his idols would be a dream come true for him. Especially meeting David beckham so please could you inform me of how I can go about sorting this for him

With regards

Mother of Manchester’s United bigget fan ☺ xx

12. Stephanie says:

Does anyone know whether the Manchester United Football Ground train station will be in operation on Saturday?

13. max james says:

Will this be televised at all? If not how can I watch without tickets

14. Teresa says:

Hi my tickets to the unicef charity match on the 14th November still haven’t arrived? Has anyone else not had theirs? Thanks

15. Tan Chin Soon says:

Hi there! would this game be broadcasted in Singapore? 🙂

16. Renzo Smolenaars says:

is there an update wich channel outside the uk is broadcasting the game?

17. Barbara Burns says:

Can I buy memorabilia from today’s game?

• nathan says:

I would also like information on buying a replica top from match .I thought they would to raise more money as many people would want one

18. icabit says:

This is nice efforts from both of them. This is a nice activity and i recommend all footballer be a part of that type charity matches.